Current Volunteer Opportunities (most opportunities would require a minimum of one two-hour shift each week, Monday through Friday, between 7:30am and 4:00pm depending on the opportunity.)
- Hospitality Volunteers work at the front desk distributing guests’ mail and messages, answering the telephone and taking messages, assisting with long-term storage and day storage. Registering guests to do laundry, take a shower, to see a caseworker or visiting agency representative.
- Kitchen Volunteers help prepare meals, serve meals and clean up after. We serve two meals a day, breakfast and lunch, so volunteers are used in the kitchen from 7:30 am until 2:00 pm.
- Employment Specialist for the JOB LINKS program. Help recognize patron’s strengths and skills, empower them in the search for job and career assistance, help with resume writing, interviewing skills, and submitting applications on line.
Steps to Becoming a Shalom Volunteer:
- Fill out the Volunteer Information form by clicking on this link Volunteer Registration Form (pdf file).
- Attend a volunteer orientation. (See below)
- After the orientation, we will match your availability with our volunteer needs and get you scheduled with a start date.
- Hospitality Volunteers are required to attend a special two-hour training and submit to a background check.
Volunteer Orientations are currently scheduled based on the needs of incoming volunteers. Please e-mail our volunteer coordinator here to schedule a time.
Click on this link to Register for Volunteer Orientation
Hospitality Volunteer Training
Volunteers who would like to work as a Hospitality volunteer must attend an additional two-hour training.
Volunteer Manual To view volunteer manual, click on this link. Volunteer Manual
IU Students with questions about volunteering, during the Fall and Spring sessions may contact Ben Lindsey, the Shalom Advocate for Community Engagement by email.
All other volunteers contact Mark Emerson, Volunteer Coordinator, by email or call 334-5734.