Current Volunteer Opportunities (most opportunities require a minimum of one two-hour shift each week, Monday through Friday, between 7:30am and 4:00pm depending on the opportunity.)
- Hospitality Volunteers work at the front desk distributing guests’ mail and messages, answering the telephone and taking messages, assisting with long-term storage and day storage. Registering guests to do laundry, take a shower, to see a caseworker or visiting agency representative.
- Kitchen Volunteers help prepare meals, serve meals, and clean up after. We serve two meals a day, breakfast and lunch, so volunteers are used in the kitchen from 7:30 am until 2:00 pm.
- Employment Specialist for the JOB LINKS program. Help recognize patron’s strengths and skills, empower them in the search for job and career assistance, help with resume writing, interview skills, and submitting applications on line.
Becoming a Shalom Volunteer:
- Fill out the Volunteer Registration Form.
- Attend a volunteer orientation – currently scheduled based on the needs of incoming volunteers. Please e-mail our volunteer coordinator here to schedule a time.
- After the orientation we will match your availability with our volunteer needs and get you scheduled with a start date.
- Hospitality Volunteers are required to attend an additional two-hour training and submit to a background check. Hospitality Training Registration Form.
- The Volunteer Manual can be found at Volunteer Manual.
Double the Value of Your Volunteer Contribution!
Many companies match their employee’s volunteer contributions. Your employer may be one of them. If you are unsure of whether the company for which you work provides matching gifts, contact your personnel or employee relations office. Click on the link to find a few of the employers in our area that have matching gift policies. Companies with Matching Gift Policies.
IU Students with questions about volunteering during the Fall and Spring semesters may contact Ben Lindsey or Katie Thien, the Shalom Advocates for Community Engagement by email.
All other volunteers may contact Mark Emerson, Volunteer Coordinator, by email or call 334-5734.